Sunday, October 10, 2010

paws/feet

If  the paws or feet hurt, you should give them a rest.    My doggies give their paws plenty  of rest, but when hiking @ lake Quachita last month I definitely noticed a slower pace towards the end of 4.5 miles.   Stevie has documented proof he didn't walk the whole way.   Riding in a backpack carried by  dad was the alternative to dragging, which I'm sure is banned in all corners of the globe.   Dog dragging would just never be an acceptable option.

Dogs don't care if their nails are too long, but they do care if you grab their paw and won't let go.   We care if their nails are too long because they hurt.   We're off to get nail trims this afternoon.    I'm thinking if I write it down, I'll get it done.

On the human side, if your feet hurt you must figure out how to make it stop or the quality of your life suffers tremendously.     After  hefty doses of time, money and patience, I have achieved almost pain free walking again.    Included were  2 doc visits, 3 new pairs of shoes, two weeks of hideous taping, two pairs of orthotics insoles for both athletic and every day shoes and on a side note who would have ever thought your could spend THAT kind of money on shoes (which are not really all that attractive) and STILL need orthotic inserts.  
Paws are low maintenance and until August I though my feet were too.
Falling off the  high healed funeral shoes in a parking lot did much to hasten what probably had been coming, but now I place paw care up there with the biggies like teeth and eyes.
I feel heart broken for the woman who came into my favorite store (for years I've worn Dansko clogs from In Step in Austin)  for shoes for her hurting feet.    She said they were all ugly shoes and she would not wear them and she left.    I thought she might be late 60 something, had hair salon hair, a trim figure with blazer and slacks.   I wanted to run after her and tell her she could be pain free....if she'll only  wear the ugly shoes too.  I make my heart happy by having pretty toes inside my ugly shoes.   I am going to do that today too.

No comments: