Monday, May 17, 2010

Would you stop if you ran over one?

Happy Monday to me.
I was driving to work and one of these fellows was weaving in my two lanes.   I saw it coming...I slowed down...I even stopped my car and honked.   Should I move left...cars coming; should I move right, car coming; can't see it where did it go?    Car behind me now and I have to do something...SO
I drive slow....very slow.   It will see the wheels moving and get out of the way I'm going so slow.
THUMP.   Quick look in the rearview mirror.   Now the car behind me has put on her flashers and is getting out of her car for possum assistance.
I go to work....I ran over the back half.   I ran over half a possum and  I do feel very bad...but it's his fault for being out in the daylight and weaving too.
Then my co-worker comes in and says this crazy possum and a lady w/a big stick kept her from getting to work on time.    She said the police were there too.    I don't think there is  a hit and run possum law but I did call and confess to a trusted party and found out I was safe.   Someone at work said it's just a big rat.
I don't like rats.   
I would stop for a cat.
I would stop for a dog.
We've stopped to move a turtle across the road.
We've shooed baby possums from our garage.
We've been the parents of 3 hamsters, 2 gerbils, 1 lovebird, 1 rabbit and I drove guinea pigs to their new home when I discovered I was allergic to them.
I love animals...but I didn't stop and render aid to the possum.
Tomorrow is Tuesday.  

No comments: